Robert Parker: The Clos du Marquis, the second label of Léoville Las Cases, was created at the end of the 19th century. This name, which has been used on a regular basis since the beginning of the last century, originates from the small "clos" (walled parcel) situated near the Château de Léoville (the residence of the late Marquis de Las-Cases).
Léoville Poyferré has been owned by the Cuvelier family (who also own Château Le Crock) since 1921, yet it was not until the 1970s, when Didier Cuvelier took control at the château, that quality began to improve. In the last 20 years, Didier, with the assistance of Michel Rolland since 1995, has turned Léoville-Poyferré into one of St-Julien's finest estates.
The grand vin of Léoville-Las Cases was classified as one of the original fifteen Deuxièmes Crus (Second Growths) in the 1855 Bordeaux Wine Official Classification. The estate sits right on the northern edge of the Saint-Julien AOC, bordering the vineyards of Château Latour in Pauillac.